Friday, September 4, 2009

Pacific Distances

One of the strangest parts of being abroad is that I'm not home. This weekend is Labor Day, the ceremonial last weekend of summer before students return to the halls and classrooms. As my friends all return to their respective universities, I'd like to take this time to be nostalgic, miss my friends, and share a bit about my life back in New York.

While I have many amazing friends (many of whom are reading this), I'll share a bit about a time-honored tradition: Anti-Social Lunch. It started on a Tuesday last fall, when my friend Amy (of Baking and Mistaking fame) and I would have a bi-weekly lunch date in the NYU Kosher Cafeteria. Our dear friend Sarah had once expressed her reluctance to eat lunch there, since she was afraid she would not have any friends to sit with. We were fast to invite her, and lunch was a success. And so, a tradition was born.

When Sarah went abroad last spring, we had a small farewell gathering. When Sarah returned I was in Montreal, but she and Amy celebrated on their own. A few short weeks ago, Sarah was leaving for Kazakhstan and I was getting ready to leave for Copenhagen. So the occasion of numerous departures warranted a reunion/good-bye party, which obviously meant a delicious dessert.

It is definitely strange to be in a different city, and to hear many of my friends complaining about the imminent start of classes. But I'm already settled and excited for more adventures in wonderful Copenhagen. Though I might have to wait awhile for my next exciting cake, it will be well worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Anti-social is the new black.

    Which I think makes airplane cake the new cow cake.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Amy's comment was very funny. She thinks that that was bitchy; I disagree.

    P.S. Amy and I are sitting in my apartment looking through all my things. You should be here.

    P.P.S. When you come back to America, your cake will be in the shape of Denmark. Amy might have to consult a map, that is if she knows how to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. remember the time I was part of both the anti-social lunch AND the many going-away parties?

    yeah, i was the guy who drove the car, took pictures, paid for Sarah's dinner and felt really awkward around that 15-year-old waiter in Dougies when Sarah said she liked it messy (untrue, in case you were wondering).

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHAHAHAHA

    dave actually said something funny!

    ReplyDelete