Friday, August 21, 2009

Good-bye to All That

Today marks my last full day in the United States for the next six months or so.
Tomorrow night, it is off to Denmark, with a stop in Iceland.

It seems like summer has flown by so quickly, like months escaped me (or maybe just washed away with all the rain and humidity). I finished my internship, and have spent the past two weeks shopping, preparing various and sundry papers and arrangements, and getting used to the idea that I'll be on foreign soil for awhile and away from here.

I'll miss New York. I'll miss the sauna of the subway platform, the tiny hole-in-the-wall coffee shops, the way that fountains in parks are lit up at night. I'll miss the way that tourists always look up (and then look upset when a midtown suit rushes past them in a flurry of phone calls, e-mails, and business lunches). I'll miss the noise of Union Square traffic at unholy hours, the way that the Manhattan Bridge looks from Chinatown (and vice versa), and the colorful people that you see everywhere.

These minute details can be overlooked so easily, but it is these very things that make New York, well, New York. But perhaps the thing that I will miss more is my life here. To be dreadfully cliche, a lot of people that I care about will be far away. I'll miss my family, my friends - the world that I have here. But now it is time for a change, to travel, and to fall in love with another city.

Next time, from Copenhagen,



Ariel

1 comment: