Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Where I Was From

The past few days have been a whirlwind, but I am thrilled to say that I have been in Copenhagen for a solid two and a half days. After a smooth flight to Reykjavik then to Copenhagen, after registration and orientation sessions and introductions, and after a short bus ride, I arrived in my new home, the Keops Kollegium. I'm living in a single room, with my own bathroom and a kitchenette. (I'll post pictures once I am completely unpacked and settled). There is a decently large group of Americans living here, and we're already forming our own community in our building.

Copenhagen is gorgeous. It is a mix of medieval and modern. Winding cobblestone streets are lined with stores like Gucci, Chanel, and H&M. Modern glass buildings are across the way from old row houses. Pedestrians battle bicyclists and cars and buses on the roads (and bicyclists tend to win). This city is a different world.

These past few days have been full of typical orientation activities - opening ceremonies, guides to living in Europe and with Danes, and a scavenger hunt designed to help jump start the process of getting to know a brand new city. I have spent plenty of time getting lost, trying to read maps, and trying to make sense of completely foreign street names. I still can't pronounce the street that I live on, but maybe our Danish survival lessons will help that matter.

The overall atmosphere at DIS right now is just like freshman year. Fall is in the air, with crisp breezes and warm sunlight bouncing off the old bricks. Everyone is trying desperately to make friends and find excitement. We all talk about where we're from, where we go to school, and what classes we're taking. We speak with excitement of the adventures just around the corner, and exchange numbers so we can meet up later. Everyone is a little bit lost but trying their hardest not to be. But soon enough everyone will have settled in, found a routine, and find their own place in Copenhagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment